Gallatin College Matched Education Savings Account (MESA)

The Gallatin College Matched Education Savings Account (MESA) program is helping eligible hardworking students with limited incomes save for college expenses. For every $1 saved, the Gallatin College MESA program matches it with $4. Save up to $500 and you will be eligible for the maximum match of $2,000! Learn more

Federal Student Aid

Federal student aid comes from the U.S. Department of Education. It is money that helps a student pay for college expenses such as tuition and fees, housing, meals, books and supplies and transportation. The money can also be used to help pay for a computer or child care.

Federal aid is given out to students in the form of grants, loans and work-study.

Who gets federal student aid?

In order to be eligible for aid, you must

  • be a U.S. citizen, or an eligible noncitizen
  • have a valid Social Security number
  • register with Selective Service if you are a male between the ages of 18 and 25
  • maintain satisfactory academic progress
  • possess a final, official high school transcript posting graduation date or GED certificate or have completed a high school education in a homeschool setting
  • register for six or more credits 
  • demonstrate financial need (for grants and work-study aid)

How do you apply for federal student aid?

Remember: Aim to file your FAFSA by the December 1st priority date to receive the best possible funding offers.

  1. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) | Utilice el formulario Solicitud Gratuita de Ayuda Federal para Estudiantes (FAFSA®) para solicitar ayuda económica para pagar los estudios universitarios de pregrado.
    • Go to | Seleccione "Español"en el menú 
    • Create your FSA ID  
    • Using your and your parents’ tax information from two years prior to filling the FAFSA. Note: you will also need your and your parents’ social security numbers.
    • MSU school code is 002532
  2. Review your Student Aid Report (SAR).
    After you apply, you’ll receive a Student Aid Report, or SAR. Your SAR contains the information reported on your FAFSA. Review your SAR information and make any corrections or changes, if necessary. Montana State University will receive your SAR electronically.
  3. Contact the Office of Financial Aid at MSU. 
    Make sure the Office of Financial Aid has all of the information needed to determine your eligibility. If you are eligible, the Office of Financial Aid will send you an award letter showing the amount and types of aid Gallatin College MSU will offer you. 
  4. Accept your financial aid award. 
    Log onto the secure area of My Info and select the Financial Aid tab. Select the link My Award Information to view and accept your award. If this is the first time you are receiving financial aid, specifically student loans, you will be prompted to complete entrance counseling and sign your promissory note. Funds will not be dispersed until these are completed.

For more information on Financial Aid at Gallatin College MSU, please contact:

MSU Office of Financial Aid
(406) 994-2845
21 Montana Hall