Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration
HVAC-R students have the opportunity to pursue a one-year Certificate of Applied Science to prepare for work as a HVAC-R Installer, or continue on to receive a two-year Associate of Applied Science degree to work as a HVAC-R Technician.
The HVAC-R certificate and degree programs are designed to teach the theoretical, technical and procedural aspects of working in the HVAC-R industry with an initial focus on residential systems and advanced instruction on commercial systems and new technology. Through coursework and hands-on training, successful students will be prepared to immediately enter the workforce at a promising wage and in an industry actively seeking these highly demanded skills.
- Explain the fundamentals, similarities, and differences of HVAC-R systems within residential and commercial buildings
- Interpret blueprint plans and ladder wiring diagrams
- Adhere to safety rules and regulations according to industry policies and laws; appraise workshop environments and apply correct practices when utilizing tools, equipment and substances
- Utilize proper welding, brazing and pipe-joining techniques
- Demonstrate installation on techniques utilized in the industry
- Comprehend parallel and series circuit systems
- Plot the cooling, humidifying, dehumidifying, cooling cycle, and cooling reheat processes
- Calculate “U” values, lighting load, equipment load, heat load, and moisture load. Determine air flow and velocity
- Troubleshoot, repair, and maintain HVAC-R equipment
- Gain a knowledge and understanding of control system
- Develop and utilize professional communication skills
- Identify energy sources and consumption; Evaluate conventional and advanced energy conversion technologies
Potential Annual Salary:
$42,000 (entry) - $70,000 (after 3+ years of training)
- 1-Year CAS Program Course Plan
- 2-Year AAS Program Course Plan
- Program fees: students will be required to purchase their own tools for use in this program and in their future careers
Important: This program has limited openings and has been at full capacity in recent years, please apply early and contact Gallatin College for further information if interested.