Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration
HVAC-R students have the opportunity to pursue a one-year Certificate of Applied Science to prepare for work as a HVAC-R Installer, or continue on to receive a two-year Associate of Applied Science degree to work as a HVAC-R Technician.
The HVAC-R certificate and degree programs are designed to teach the theoretical, technical and procedural aspects of working in the HVAC-R industry with an initial focus on residential systems and advanced instruction on commercial systems and new technology. Through coursework and hands-on training, successful students will be prepared to immediately enter the workforce at a promising wage and in an industry actively seeking these highly demanded skills.
- Explain the fundamentals, similarities, and differences of HVAC-R systems within residential and commercial buildings
- Interpret blueprint plans and ladder wiring diagrams
- Adhere to safety rules and regulations according to industry policies and laws; appraise workshop environments and apply correct practices when utilizing tools, equipment and substances
- Utilize proper welding, brazing and pipe-joining techniques
- Demonstrate installation on techniques utilized in the industry
- Comprehend parallel and series circuit systems
- Plot the cooling, humidifying, dehumidifying, cooling cycle, and cooling reheat processes
- Calculate “U” values, lighting load, equipment load, heat load, and moisture load. Determine air flow and velocity
- Troubleshoot, repair, and maintain HVAC-R equipment
- Gain a knowledge and understanding of control system
- Develop and utilize professional communication skills
- Identify energy sources and consumption; Evaluate conventional and advanced energy conversion technologies
Potential Annual Salary:
$42,000 (entry) - $70,000 (after 3+ years of training)
- 1-Year CAS Program Course Plan
- 2-Year AAS Program Course Plan
- Program fees: students will be required to purchase their own tools for use in this program and in their future careers
Important: This program has limited openings and has been at full capacity in recent years, please apply early and contact Gallatin College for further information if interested.
Students will need reliable all-season personal transportation as public transportation is not available for all course locations