Medical Laboratory Assistants work within pre-analytical, analytical, and post-analytical processes wherever clinical laboratory testing is performed.
Certification of Applied Science (C.A.S.) in Medical Laboratory Assistant
The Medical Laboratory Assistant Certificate is a one-year program where students gain competencies to perform clinical laboratory tests ranging from entry-level waived and point of care to complex testing in areas including clinical chemistry; hematology/hemostasis; immunology; immunohematology/transfusion medicine; microbiology; urine and body fluid analysis; and laboratory operations. Medical Laboratory Assistants work within pre-analytical, analytical, and post-analytical processes wherever clinical laboratory testing is performed.
Upon successful completion of the program, students will be eligible to sit for the Certified Medical Laboratory Assistant (CMLA) national exam through American Medical Technologists (AMT).
High Demand for Graduates
Now more than ever, physicians, nurses and other medical staff rely on medical assistants as a part of the team in the dynamic healthcare industry.
Most students work full-time and class schedules usually accommodate students with responsibilities outside of school.
Accelerated Time to Degree
Students are ready to enter into a career in one year after completing the Medical Laboratory Assistant program at Gallatin College.
- Expertise in the preparation and identification of specimens.
- Model how to culture microorganisms to determine identity and sensitivity to antibiotics.
- Perform blood cell counts and analyze body fluids to determine biological and chemical components.
- Demonstrate the steps to accurately type, crossmatch, and prepare blood for transfusions.
- Employ safety precautions and quality control throughout the laboratory environment and practices.
Medical Laboratory Assistant students at Gallatin College MSU go into careers in areas such as:
- Hospital Laboratories
- Physician Clinic Laboratories
- Clinical Research Labs
Predicted salary in Montana: $35,000 - $52,000 per year.
To explore more career possibilities, Gallatin College MSU has a variety of resources available to help with navigating the job search process, including career services and internal job postings.